Monday, November 30

Franc-o-phile...


I don't know if it is because of the time I spent in Europe (mostly in Germany), or if I've simply fallen prey to America's modish marketing of all delicate things al a Francais, but I just love most things that smack of being even the tiniest bit Frenchie.

Doesn't almost every American woman long to have that je ne sais quoi, even if we're not quite sure what it even is?

Well, I saw this ad on television on Thanksgiving day. I first heard the song and immediately loved it and looked up the singer to find out it is no other than the original French icon of sexiness, panache and altruism all rolled into one - Brigitte Bardot. Va va voom!

On first viewing of this TV spot advertising a new French perfume, Miss Dior Cherie, I though it energetic and soft and beautiful and wonderful. It seemed to sum up all things "French" and mash them up into one candid, magical breath-taking minute of "How to Be Beautiful and French."

However, when I watched this commercial, directed by Sofia Coppola, again, I realized that I thought those things because I was led to them directly... literally. This commercial is like a condescending primer of "all things French," including:
  • fancy French pastries - including tasty macaron
  • beautiful, sun-spotted views of traditional Paris... the River Seine, the lovely and nearly ancient bridges, opulent fountains
  • quaint views of things that make the girl seem carefree and so different than the modern American woman: bicycle riding in a dress... peony sniffing... dog walking... convertible riding on a fuzzy blue day...
  • Vogue magazine and beautiful clothing
  • the Brigitte Bardot-esque hairstyle
  • of course some obligatory shots of the Dior house in Paris
and, the piece de resistance
Obvious and leading as it it, I love this silly advertisement anyway, and I wish I could be the girl in it! I'm a sucker for things marketed just to me and will likely go out and sniff the perfume today!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails