Saturday, March 28

Ride Sally Ride (Run Sallie Run): Ten Things I Learned About Life, Love and Running

For last week's post, I created a list of 10 things I learned. As I've pondered about what to write this week, I kept thinking in bullet points, so I thought perhaps the list would be fun again. So here goes:

Ten Things I Learned About Life, Love and Running at the Monument Avenue 10K

10) After about a five year break from the running community, I had forgotten that runners can be a seriously wacky, neurotic bunch of folks. There were people in costumes...people wamring up by running... people stretching... people waiting in line to use the port-o-potty... everyone moving through their pre-race routines hoping for the best possible outcome... a personal record. This being my first race since 2004, I was beyond ecstatic just to be running again!

9) In races these days, you're literally running your very own race. In a race of nearly 33,000 people, unless you're at the very front of the pack, there's no way to even compete, except with yourself. What I mean is this: from my starting point (about halfway through the crowds of people) it took me more than 13 minutes after the official start to even get to the starting line. But new and innovative technology gives each runner/walker a disposable microchip that tracks your specific time from the time you cross the starting line to the time you finish. The chips have been around for a while, but you used to have to return them. Now, they're paper thin, and you just throw them away. See this picture of mine on my shoe.
8) Running is a great way to see a town. For the first time ever I finally passed this restaurant that I'd read about in a magazine over five years ago called Sallybell's Kitchen. This was cool to me because it's what my family always called me growing up... if I'd thought about it, I would've name my daughter that too... I saw lots of other things along the way, including: thousands of volunteers (BIG FAT THANKS TO YOU ALL) and spectators (THANKS TO YOU TOO), beautiful homes, flowers blooming and well, lots more... you just had to be there.

7) Something about hordes of folks going out for the pleasure and challenge of a 6.2 mile run brings out the best in SO many people! I have run lots of races in my life, but I have NEVER run one with spectators lining every inch of the course. And these weren't just any spectators. They were festooned, be-ribboned, decked out with elaborate sinage, some strolling babies, others walking dogs, some with noisemakers, others with microphones. It was truly wonderful. Of course, the rock star in me loved this and I hammed it up for every photo op, waved to everyone's eye I could catch and danced to all the music. Which brings me to my next point...

6) I am, I am, I am Superman, and I know what's happening... friends of mine will all recall that familiar REM chorus, and know how much warm fun that it incites in the heart. When I heard one of the oodles of bands playing this song on the back side of this (practically) out and back course, I remembered that music can play such a role in one's mood/performance. When I heard that song, I felt completely overwhelmed with joy of where I was, what I was doing and how much fun I was having while doing it. Thank you mystery band! You made my day! I started the race off with a terribly moving rendition of Mustang Sally. Nothing like a little personal inspiration!

5) A friend and I have been having a philosophical discussion about running lately. We've been questioning why we do it. Why do we run? What pleasure is there in the pain? I believe that the challenge of something new, something so physically challenging yet healthy, is just inspiring.
When I want to think of something that I can't do yet want to do, something that is worth doing, something that will make me a better person for the struggle, then I want to take that challenge, so when the next struggle comes along in my life, I will know that I can handle it because I will know just how strong I am. Embrace the struggle.
4) I began running when I was 20 years old just to help manage my weight. It was a great way to get to know my friends and to see the beautiful city where I was living at the time - Freiburg im Breisgau in Germany. Then my senior year of college, I somewhat flippantly joined my college's Cross Country Running Team. I started off last place on the team and ended up in fourth place. I was hooked on running. After college, running continued to be my favorite form of exercise, and I kept it up for years, even after I had children. My running "career" crescendoed to finishing the Richmond Marathon in 2004, and then it came to an abrupt halt. Running had started hurting more than it should: smarting knees, aching back, bunions. I have mourned the loss of running, feeling real jealously as I passed happy joggers on the street on beautiful, sunny Saturdays. Well, I wouldn't be writing this at all if I hadn't been recommended to try Chi Running. This is just a technique that has changed my life by giving me my running back! I'm now running pain-free, and feeling so joyful, grateful and strong. When I'm running, I feel like I can do anything. I just love to run. One million thank yous to my parents who gave me the workshop for Christmas... the workshop that changed my life.

3) Based on this quote by Oscare Wilde, “Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not.”, I don't think I could ever be caught wearing these, albeit useful, compression socks (read about what they're supposed to do here,) unless they made me win the entire race. But hey, each to his own.
2) Some people still haven't learned that it doesn't help, and can sometimes hurt, to stretch your muscles when they aren't warm yet. These runners stretching pre-race haven't learned this yet.

1) Who would've thought that after a a 4 1/2 year hiatus from running that I could finish running 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) in only one hour? Not very fast by some standards, but at least I was running! And I can't wait for next year...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Sallie! An hour? Are you kidding, that's awesome!

Regarding the stretching, read this article in Men's Health about the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico: "http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=motivation&conitem=3b4b1ca01e91c010VgnVCM10000013281eac____&page=1" - you'll learn about the "tarahumara stretch," which consists of them lying down and taking a nap before the race.

-Doug

David H. said...

This is a great way to look at the 10k! Welcome back to running races! I really like that comment about stretching -- I saw some weird stuff going on that I had never seen before. Maybe people think they look cool wildly stretching.

Swestie said...

Doug, I took that "Embrace the Struggle" photo just for you.(=

Related Posts with Thumbnails